Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Filter Coffee Machines
- Melitta 100801 with Glass Pourer (Editor’s Choice)
- Cuisinart Grind and Brew Plus (Luxury Choice)
- Geepas 1.5L (Best Value)
- Russell Hobbs 20680 Buckingham 1.25L (Best Large Capacity)
- Bodum Pour Over 1.0L (Best Space-Saving)
- Melitta AromaFresh Grind and Brew 1021-01
- Tassimo Bosch Suny TAS3102GB
- Melitta 6707286 Aroma Boy
- Morphy Richards 162009 Pour Over
- Swan 750ml Programmable
There is nothing quite like the taste of fresh coffee made from a filter coffee machine. It packs a different punch, and the taste, aromas, and flavour are usually lip-smackingly bold. Filter coffee machines allow you to create exceptional brewed coffee using either full beans or ground ones. They usually have a drip mechanism that allows the coffee to filter into a jug to produce a brew that has brilliant flavour.
If you want to take your morning brew to the next level, the best filter coffee machine could be a perfect choice. Filter coffee machines are generally easy to use, have multiple cup capacities, and a host of useful features to try different types of pre-ground or full bean coffee. In this guide, we have picked 10 top filter coffee machines for your benefit – enjoy!
Filter Coffee Machine Reviews
The Melitta 100801 filter machine is our pick for the best filter coffee maker. If you want a versatile device that can easily produce high-quality coffee with minimal effort, this is an excellent choice. It has a host of useful features and can really boost your morning coffee-making ritual.
This machine can produce up to 10 small cups, but it can be programmed to make less also. It works at an optimum temperature, and has a programmable drip feature for between 30 to 120 minutes, too.
We also like the quality of the glass jug – it is made from heat-resistant borosilicate glass. The LED display makes this device easy to operate, and it also has various timer functions to fit with your morning routine.
Though this is our top pick for the best filter coffee machines, it could potentially have some small problems. For example, this machine may not have the ability to add a permanent filter. Therefore, you are relying on disposable options. Also, for large gatherings or families, you could find that the insulated jug is not enough.
- Easy to clean with fully washable parts
- Has a graduated water tank that can be fully removed, with a 10 cup capacity
- Includes a borosilicate glass jug to create optimum temperature coffee
- Has a clear LED that shows the timer display
- Includes 5 Melitta coffee filters in the basic package
- Some may like the ability to add a permanent coffee filter to the machine
- Some could find that the coffee brewing pot may be a little bit small
The Cuisinart Grind and Brew Plus bean-to-cup filter maker is a fantastic option. It is our choice for the best filter coffee machine with grinder functionality. If you prefer to make your coffee from fresh beans and enjoy the grinding process, this bean-to-cup machine is your perfect match. It also looks incredibly stylish and won’t take up too much space in your kitchen.
This machine can make up to twelve cups, and it can be programmed for single cups, too. It can be used with whole beans or coffee grounds which gives excellent flexibility. Also, it has a strength control options and you can choose between strong, medium, and mild settings.
We like that this luxury model comes with a 3-year guarantee. Plus, it includes a programmable timer so you can set it running first thing in the morning.
This bean-to-cup coffee machine is a fantastic option, but it may still present some minor issues. Firstly, you may find that the warming plate does not keep your drink warm for long enough. Also, you could find that the neck of the coffee jug makes it difficult to completely empty the container when pouring.
- Can produce between 2-12 cups of filter coffee
- Has an automatic grinding feature to mill whole coffee beans
- Can easily control the coffee strength using the strength settings
- Has a programmable timer for an effective brewing process
- Bean to cup feature that can also take ground coffee
- Some could find that the coffee does not keep hot enough for long periods
- You may find that the shape of the coffee jug makes it difficult to pour all the fresh coffee
The Geepas 1.5L filter coffee machine is brilliant if you want to try filter coffee, but not sure if you want to commit yet. This is an excellent value option but still allows you to brew delicious coffee with great flavours. It is also relatively easy to use and has some useful features so you can brew the perfect amount of coffee.
These filter coffee machines are excellent for coffee grounds and have a large capacity carafe that can hold 1.5 litres. Also, you can change the settings to make between two to twelve cups of coffee. These Geepas coffee makers feature a 30-second anti-drip function, too, keeping your tabletops and kitchen surface clean.
The handle has an easy-grip surface and is comfortable to hold. Also, it has an automatic shut-off function, and boil-dry protection. This improves its longevity and durability. It also includes a permanent nylon filter that you can quickly wash and remove. You can use paper filters, however, if you prefer these.
This filter coffee machine is of great value but it could still have some small issues. Firstly, the unit is incredibly lightweight. This is fine, but when lifting the jug, you could find that the whole coffee machine moves. Also, you could find that a little water does drip at the rear of the machine.
- Has a large 1.5L capacity water tank for up to 12 full cups
- The coffee jug handle is large and easy to grip/pour with
- Has two different safety turn-off functions to ensure it doesn’t burn out
- Also has an excellent 30-second anti-drip function to pause between brewing
- Has a permanent nylon filter so you don’t have to keep buying disposable filters
- You could find when lifting the coffee pot, the whole machine moves
- You may find that the rear area of the machine drips some excess water
The Russell Hobbs 20680 Buckingham is a great product that improves on previous versions of this drip filter coffee machine. It looks incredibly stylish and is also available in a bundle with some great accessories. Plus, it has one of the largest capacity tanks and jugs we have seen which makes it perfect for making multiple cups quickly.
The Buckingham coffee filter machine has a handy blue ring light on the bottom unit. This lights-up whilst brewing and also when the warming plate is activated. It also has an improved design that means it brews coffee quicker and can keep the coffee warmer for longer.
For multiple servings, it has a 1.25L capacity carafe that yields up to 10 cups. Also, you can set the filter function for less than this and brew single cups if you wish. We also like the included high-quality permanent filter that can be removed and washed.
This Russell Hobbs machine is a great choice but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect. For example, you could find that you struggle to keep your coffee warm if you don’t intend to drink it immediately. Also, some customers have found scratches on the main machine upon delivery.
- Uses advanced shower head technology to give maximum coffee flavour
- Includes a permanent filter that is fully washable and easy to remove
- Can produce up to 10 cups of coffee at once with the 1.25L capacity glass carafe
- Has a blue LED light-ring to show when the machine is brewing
- Much quieter and easier to use than previous Russell Hobbs drip filter machines
- Some customers may find that the coffee is not kept warm for long enough
- Some customers have found scratches on the base unit on delivery
The Bodum Pour Over coffee maker is a solid option, and perfect for those who have limited kitchen space. Also, this is our choice for the best drip coffee maker. It is a simple device that requires no electricity, as it utilizes a natural dripping process via its removable filter.
This drip filter coffee maker is made from durable borosilicate glass and has an excellent build quality. It also has an easy-to-clean permanent filter that is made from stainless steel.
Available in two designs, the Bodum comes either in stylish cork or black silicate to suit different kitchen designs. We also like that the glass is heat-resistant so you should have no issue holding it, even with hot coffee. It also weighs just 0.49kg which makes it one of the smallest filter coffee makers on this list.
The Bodum coffee maker is a good choice and simple to use. However, it may have a few minor problems. Firstly, you could find that the filter it comes with lets in too much water. This could result in clumps in your brewed coffee. Also, this maker does not have a keep-warm function. Hence, you could find your coffee does not keep warm for long.
- Has a high-quality permanent stainless steel coffee filter
- The carafe unit is made from durable and heat resistant borosilicate glass
- Available in either cork or silicate designs
- Simple to use and is great for making drip coffee
- Incredibly easy to clean with minimal parts
- Some could find the filter may let in too much water which could result in clumps
- You may find that the coffee struggles to keep warm
The Melitta AromaFresh Grind and Brew 1021-01 offers versatility for those who like to experiment with different types of coffee. It can take both pre-ground as well as coffee beans, and also has different strength settings. This means you can easily use various types of coffee if you like to taste different flavours and bean types, for example.
These filter coffee machines have a transparent water tank with clear cup markings. Additionally, they have a 10-cup capacity. There is also a programmable warm-up time, and an adjustable grinding level to suit various types of coffee grounds.
We also like the timer function of these filter machines. You can set it to turn on automatically which is perfect if you have a busy morning schedule. For ease of use, there is also an LCD display screen, a descaling program, and a descaling indicator. This really improves the cleaning and maintenance process.
Though a brilliant option, this Melitta product is not absolutely perfect. Firstly, some customers have reported cosmetic damage to the casing, on delivery. Also, you may find that it’s not the best coffee maker in terms of noise level. Some users have noted that it emits a whining sound that can be a little bit irritating.
- Has a transparent water tank with clear markers for different cup amounts
- Provides an optimum temperature to keep your coffee tasting amazing
- Has a timer function and an anti-drip system for greater control
- Also has a clear LCD display screen that shows the current time
- Includes durable stainless steel elements and descaling system for greater longevity
- Some customers have found cosmetic damage on their filter coffee machines on arrival
- The machine can make some noise during operation
Aside from looking fantastic, the Tassimo Bosch Suny TAS3102GB takes your coffee-making to the next level. It has a sleek and stylish black exterior as well as advanced functionality. We also like that you can buy it in three other colours, too, to match your kitchen decor.
This drip filter coffee product has a smart start operation and is easy to use. It also requires no heat up, so you can begin using it immediately. Additionally, it utilises Intellibrew technology that enables the machine to automatically adjust the amount of water, temperature, and time settings required for a certain type of coffee drink.
You can use this product with over 70 drinks from 11 well-known brands and it also has a handy auto shut-off function that should stop the machine after 40 minutes. This means you can save on power consumption. There is also a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
This high-end coffee maker is a great choice, but it may not be infallible. Firstly, the water tank is a little bit small and some people may find its capacity insufficient. Also, it may not have any programming options which could limit the types of brewed coffee that you want to create.
- Easy to use and has a simple smart start function with no waiting time
- Has a stylish black exterior with durable casing
- Uses Intellibrew technology for an exceptionally tasting brewed coffee
- Has an auto shut-off function for economic power usage
- Comes with a standard 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Some may find that this filter machine’s water reservoir has a limited capacity
- You could find the lack of programming options a problem
The Melitta 6707286 Aroma Boy filter coffee machine is an excellent space-saving product. It is also made from durable materials and includes stainless steel components. If you want a reliable cup of coffee each morning, this is a simple option.
These filter coffee makers have a transparent water tank and cup level markers so you know exactly how much you are making. Also, they have a removable filter holder and the glass carafe is dishwasher safe so they are both easy to clean.
After 40 minutes of brewing, this device also switches off automatically. That should be enough time to brew coffee as well as produce several cups. In addition, the Melitta Aroma Boy is available in three different colours – black, white, and gold.
These filter machines are fantastic products, but they could have some minor problems. For example, you could find the coffee jug does not have a huge capacity for more than a couple of cups. Also, the Melitta brand filters may not be the best option for you. So, it could be worth looking into other brands of coffee filters.
- Has a stylish and compact design for easy storage
- Provides an optimum brewing temperature to make a great tasting coffee
- The glass jug is dishwasher safe and can easily be removed
- The removable filter hold is dishwasher safe and easy to clean
- Available in three different stylish colours
- Some could find that the coffee jug does not have a large enough capacity
- You may find other brand filters a better choice
The Morphy Richards 162009 Pour Over filter coffee maker has a large capacity tank, and a host of amazing features to make a delicious cup of coffee. If you really enjoy the taste, aromas, and flavour of your morning cup, this is a great buy.
Equipped with a handy programmable timer, you can set it to turn on in the morning ready for your first cup. Also, it uses simple pour-over technology for fantastic flavour and aromas.
If you need to make multiple servings, the water tank has a maximum capacity of 12 cups, which should be more than enough for most situations. Also, it has a permanent filter that is reusable and can easily be cleaned. It is available in brushed stainless steel, red, or a black finish.
We like this Morphy Richards filter machine, but it may still have some small issues. Firstly, though it has strength settings, you may not notice a huge difference between weak and strong, for example. Also, access to the interior and the pouring section may be tricky, and you could end up spilling a little water.
- Has a programmable timer so you can wake up to hot coffee every day
- The pour-over technology ensures a coffee with full flavour
- Has a large 1.8L tank that makes 12 cups of coffee
- Also has adjustable coffee strength selectors for those with different tastes
- Available in three stylish colours
- Some may find that there is not much difference between the strength settings
- You may find that this filter machine is tricky to fill without spilling water
The Swan 750ML programmable filter coffee makeris a small and compact model. If you have limited space in your cupboards on your kitchen top, this could be a great choice. It also offers a relatively simple operation and will produce great results every time.
This product has a modest 750ml water capacity that can help reduce water waste. Also, it has a clear LCD display so you can see the different functions and the current time. We also like that it has a hot plate to keep the coffee warm.
For additional safety, it also has an automatic shut-off feature which can help reduce power usage. If you have a morning routine, you can even use the timer delay which can be programmed up to 24 hours.
Although this is an excellent coffee machine, it could still have a few issues. Firstly, you could find that over time, some water does drip underneath the main unit. Also, this may not be a large capacity machine and may only be suitable for single people or couples – not ideal if you often have friends or family over.
- Has an illuminated LCD display which makes for easy operation
- Has a hot plate to keep your cup coffee warm for up to two hours
- Also has an automatic shut-off function to improve safety
- Has an anti-drip function and up to a 24-hour timer delay for flexibility
- The design of this bean to cup machine is stylish and space-saving
- Some could find that excess water may drip underneath the machine unit
- The capacity of this drip filter coffee machine may not be enough for a group
How to Choose a Suitable Filter Coffee Machine?
The variety of filter coffee machines available is great. As a result, this could make choosing a suitable model difficult. You may not know which type of machine is the best for your situation. To help, we have created a small buying guide containing important considerations.
Before looking at this guide, consider your coffee drinking habits. How often do you drink coffee? How big is your family? Do you often have gatherings and need to make multiple cups? Knowing these things will help make your choice easier.
Firstly, consider the type of coffee the drip device can take. Some machines can only take pre-ground coffee, for example, and would need a separate grinder for milling beans. Whereas, others may have a bean-to-cup facility and take both beans and ground coffee. This depends on how you like to make your cup of coffee, and which type you typically drink.
Water Tank and Jug Capacity
Different machines will have different size of tanks and jugs. Some, for example, may only have a small glass carafe suitable for one cup. Others may have larger jugs that allow you to make multiple cups from one brew. Consider how many people you often make coffee for and how large you need your coffee maker to be.
The water tank is also important. Some machines have large capacity tanks that can be used for more than 10 cups of coffee without refilling.
Hot Plate and Warming Functions
In the morning, you may have a busy routine and could be dashing around. As a result, you may not drink your coffee immediately. This is where a keep-warm function or hot plate can be an invaluable tool. Some machines have these functions which allow you to start the brewing process, and keep your coffee hot until you are ready to drink it.
Size and Weight
Unless you have a huge kitchen, you may have limited work surface or cupboard space. As a result, you should look at the size and weight of the coffee machine. Most filter coffee machines are relatively small and they should not take up too much room on your kitchen top. Also, some machines are specially made to be space-saving.
Ease of Use
There is no denying that some filter machines can be difficult to use. For example, the jug may be difficult to remove, or the coffee holder may be difficult to fill.
The best machines offer a no-hassle approach to brewing. They should have a clear operation and have accessible parts. Ideally, there should also be a clear instruction manual.
Maintenance and Cleaning
Lastly, how easy is the machine to clean? Ideally, the jug, water tank, and filter compartment should be removable and dishwasher safe. Also, the different parts should all be easy to dismantle and put back together. You don’t want to spend hours cleaning your machine. Also, you don’t want a machine that quickly collects grime and limescale as these can cause health issues.
Having a drip filter coffee machine can transform your morning routine. These machines can give you an improved coffee-tasting experience and help you start your day in the right way. Also, they are excellent products to have for parties and gatherings where multiple people want to enjoy a tasty coffee.
Any one of the above top 10 machines we have listed would make a great choice. However, our pick for the best filter coffee machine is the Melitta Filter Coffee Maker with Glass Pourer. This is an excellent product with a great design. The decent tank is ideal for making multiple cups, and it has a host of fantastic features such as a timer, descaling program, and limescale warning light.